You know that part in ‘When Harry Met Sally’, right at the very end, when Harry figures out that he is in love with Sally and he says “When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible!” Well, that is how I am currently feeling about pursuing my love of comedy. I love making people laugh and I may well want to spend the rest of my life trying to do just that. Unfortunately, I have not quite mastered how to be funny all the time, or on cue, or especially when I am trying to be. I spent a good deal of this week writing a short open mic comedy set. Now it isn’t finished and I have MUCH tweaking to do, but it felt GREAT writing it because it was something that was mine that I created. I didn’t know writing would make me so full of joy (and full of myself!).
I was so excited to keep writing today and keep the good feelings coming. But guess what? The ideas weren’t flowing. Every joke idea was a dead end, every original thought was counteracted by the realization that said thought was something I’d seen on Parks and Rec the night before. Writing is hard ya’ll! I left my desk feeling disheartened. What had started off as a day of writing groundbreaking hit television comedy ended in me writing a list of puns I could make with the word “poop.” (Chicken poop for the soul, Bowling for poop, Poop up Video on VH1, Harry Pooper, You Me and Poopree starring Owen Wilson, POOP (Gwyneth Paltrow’s new website that charts all of her BMs), Pooper starring Joseph Gordon Levitt, The Little Engine that Pooped, it goes on. I’m very mature.)
Its a hard lesson to learn that I’m never going to be “On my game” all the time. One of my friends suggested that I take a moment each day to write down all the things I’ve accomplished over the course of that day. It may not seem like much, but after awhile the little things add up to be big accomplishments! Small victories eventually lead to a war won!
What I’ve accomplished today:
1) I successfully chose a spinach salad over a cheeseburger for lunch. By making this bold choice surely I must have prevented countless possible future diseases & have made HUGE steps in achieving my Beyonce body
2) Successfully completed 15 minutes of a Jillian Michaels workout DVD. It’s only half the DVD, but hey, it’s something. Remember, Beyonce body.
3) Talked to someone at Time Warner Cable who was named VAGLEY and was able to get through the conversation without laughing. I mean really. Vag-ley. That is her name. Poor girl.
4) Wrote some terrible poop puns
5) Learned all the words to the new One Direction single (oh, who are we kidding, I already knew the words weeks ago!)
6) Fished reading Mindy Kaling’s book
It may not be much, but surely its something!